Quinoa, often described as a ‘superfood’ or a ‘super grain,’ has become popular among the health conscious, with good reason. It is a super package of protein, fiber, Vitamins and minerals.
The quinoa has been called a pseudo-cereal for botanical reasons but also because of its unusual composition and exceptional balance between oil, protein and fat. The quinoa is an excellent example of ‘functional food’ that aims at lowering the risk of various diseases.1
According to the Whole Grains Council, quinoa is a gluten-free, whole-grain carbohydrate, as well as a whole protein (meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids).2
Health facts about Quinoa –
- More nutritious option for gluten free diet
- Quinoa’s magnesium also makes it a healthy food for people with or at risk for Type – 2 Diabetes
- Packed with protein and fiber, quinoa can certainly promote feelings of fullness and there by aids in weight loss
- Quinoa is much higher in fiber than most grains.
- Quinoa appears to be very high in antioxidants. Sprouting increases their antioxidant levels even further.
Recipe of Fruity Quinoa Breakfast
1 ½ Cups Almond Milk
¼ cup quinoa rinsed and drained
2 tbsp raisins
¾ Cup blueberries
¼ tsp. organic vanilla essence
How to make?
Place the milk and quinoa in a pot. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer.
Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until the quinoa is tender and well cooked.
Stir in raisins, blue berries and Vanilla extract.
Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Note – You can always include your choice of fruits like Vitamin C rich fruits which aid in Collagen production for your skin issues. Also, include choice of dry fruits like cranberries or almonds.
The wonderful part about mindful eating is that it can benefit anyone and everyone. One of the main reasons that people turn towards pursuing a healthier lifestyle is because they want to feel better inside out. In order to make that special connection with food, it is better to cook yourself and enjoy healthy foods.
This recipe is very simple and is the first step towards achieving mindfulness through healthy eating.
Read about Mindful eating here – Mindful Eating – In pursuit to happiness.
- Nutrition facts and functional potential of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa willd.), an ancient Andean grain: a review. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Dec;90(15):2541-7. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.4158
- Quinoa – March grain of the Month
Article by Arya Krishna