Thanksgiving dinner is the largest eating event in the United States; people eat more on Thanksgiving than on any other day of the year.
How about a healthy vegan dinner this year?
I am gathering the recipe my favorite ‘plantsgiving’ dish for this celebration. It’s really a quick and simple recipe with the goodness of vegetables and spices.
- 1 ½ cup Basmati rice (soaked in water for 10 minutes)
- 1 Potato cubed
- 1 carrot chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 green chilies slit
- 21/2 cups water or thin coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1-star anise
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Salt to taste
Ayurveda gives lots of importance to spices. The typical attraction towards food is generated by olfaction, rather than gustation. The spices mentioned in Ayurveda contributes much towards the olfactory aspect of food, especially in the Indian context.
Besides rendering the food tasty, these aid in digestion due to the properties such as
- Dipana – Carminative
- Rochana – Appetizers
- Hrdya – Beneficial to heart etc.
These correspond to substances like coriander, garlic, ginger, pepper, curry leaf, onion, chilies, lemon, cumin, cinnamon, asafetida, fenugreek, mustard etc. used in modern cooking.
Method of preparation –
- Add I tbsp. vegetable oil to the pressure cooker or pot and heat it.
- Add all the spices and fry in low heat for 2 minutes. When adequately fried, nice aroma of the spices comes.
- Fry onions and green chilies until golden
- Now add the chopped vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the mint leaves and coriander leaves and again sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add water, salt and lemon juice. Bring it a boil and add the soaked rice.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker, close the lid and turn off the stove after one whistle. If in a pot, cook until all the water is absorbed, and rice is fully cooked.
- Serve veg biriyani with Raita.
Here is our recipe for Raita
Article prepared by Arya Krishna