In the present scenario, people are very much conscious about their health as well as beautiful and clear skin. Thus, health and beauty are two faces of single coin. The skin is extremely compound organ and moreover it is the largest and most important organ of the body. According to Ayurveda, the primary or etiological factors responsible for human beings is Vata, Pitta and Kapha – the three doshas. Among these, Vata is responsible for the formation of Skin, Pitta is responsible for the texture, color, temperature and Kapha is responsible for the luster of Skin.
If someone asks me Which oil I prefer most for applying externally over skin, without a second thought I would advise Coconut oil.
Why is coconut oil considered as the healthiest oil in earth?
Coconut oil is a rich source of fiber, minerals and vitamins has more than ninety percent saturated fats. And the saturated fats present in coconut oil is not hydrogenated. Coconut oil is used in Indian customs since thousands of years.
The Ayurveda Classic ‘Susruta Samhita’ has listed a set of benefits for the use of coconut oil. Let’s check out that first.
1. Natural Coolant
2. It promotes hair growth and improves hair quality and strength.
3. It calms Vata and Pitta and supports Kapha
4. It generally nourishes the body tissues
5. It also quickens the wound healing activity in skin.
Ayurveda uses coconut oil as a base for most of the medicated oils.
Benefits of coconut oil as per Ayurveda
* According to Ayurveda, coconut oil is nourishing in nature and often advised to be included as a dietary supplement especially for people with emaciation and debility.
* Coconut oil when processed with herbs can be used for various disease conditions
* It is a natural skin moisturizer and softener
* It is an ideal choice for hair oil base.
* It can also be used as a natural deodorant when processed with sandalwood powder.
Abhyanga is a traditional Ayurveda practice of applying oil in skin for decreasing the ageing process, relaxation, and is said to be good eye health and ensures longevity of life. And the oil which can be used even by babies for this procedure is virgin coconut oil.
Other Benefits of Coconut oil –
* Adding coconut oil to your diet could be one of the easiest ways to improve your health, well-being, appearance, and even your sex life.
* Around half of the fatty acids in coconut oil are lauric acid. Lauric acid is particularly good at killing bacteria, viruses, and fungi and, therefore, great in helping you stave off infections when used externally.
You can treat a yeast infection by applying coconut oil straight from the jar to the affected area. You can rub the coconut oil into the skin or skin fold where the yeast infection is. Even in Vaginal yeast infections, coconut oil can be applied with the help of a tampon.
* Coconut oil is high in natural saturated fats. That may not sound like a positive but the saturated fats in coconuts work in a different way than those found in animal-derived foods like butter, cream, cheese and meat. Coconut oil increases the healthy cholesterol (known as HDL) in your body, but it also helps to convert the LDL or “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterol.
Take 1 tsp of coconut oil empty stomach in the morning every day. It improves general health is good for heart health.
* Coconut oil can improve the moisture and lipid content of the skin. Coconut oil can also be very protective against hair damage. Only coconut oil significantly reduced protein loss from hair when applied before or after shampooing. This result occurred with damaged as well as healthy hair.
You can add medicinal herbs like fenugreek, cumin and process coconut oil and apply externally in scalp for dandruff.
* Coconut oil improves digestion by helping the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium, and magnesium. Coconut oil can also help improve bacteria and gut health by destroying bad bacteria and candida.
Include coconut oil in cooking and improve digestion and assimilation.
* Oil pulling is a process or treatment in which detoxification and cleaning of teeth and gums take place. Ayurveda advices oil pulling as a part of daily regimen for oral health and hygiene. Oil should be held in mouth for some time. Use coconut oil for this procedure. If not daily, coconut oil pulling 3 times a week for 20 minutes a day to protect your mouth.
* Chapped lips? Apply coconut oil externally to chapped lips and see the wonders. The minerals in this coconut oil add plenty of moisture to cure the dryness and make your lips soft and smooth. * Coconut oil may help reduce belly fat, also known as visceral fat, which is linked to increased health risks such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
* Arthritis is characterized by pain and immobility of the joints due to inflammation. Ayurveda uses coconut oil as base for almost all oils for pain and inflammation.
There are innumerable benefits of coconut oil. The uses of coconut oil go just beyond cooking and can help you for attaining optimum health for body and skin.