Beets and beet products are becoming more popular these days. They are low- calorie food packed with a variety of Nutrients.
In the perspective article I will be discussing the following –
- Beetroot Nutrition
- Health Benefits
- Ayurveda Facts on Beets
- Healthy Beetroot recipes
According to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), ½ cup of sliced Beets has the following nutrients –
- Calories – 35
- Proteins – 1 g (2% of daily value)
- Carbohydrates – 8 g
- Fat – 0 g
- Fiber – 1 g (4% DV)
- Sugar – 6g
- Sodium – 350 mg
- Iron – 0.4 mg
The rich red color of beetroot is due to the presence of an antioxidant called as betaine. Beetroot is a notable source of Manganese. Folate and Vitamin B1.
Health benefits on taking beets –
Low in calories and high in nutrients, beets offer a wide variety of health benefits. Betaine – the anti-oxidant reduces cellular damage.
- The presence of nitrates in beet juice is reportedly responsible for the pressure-reducing effect of beets. These nitrates improve the ability of blood vessels to widen, promoting blood flow. A recent study, published in the journal Hypertension, found that drinking a cup of beet juice each day seemed to cause a significant drop in blood pressure among people with hypertension. 1 The recent interest in beetroot has been primarily driven by the discovery that sources of dietary nitrate may have important implications for managing cardiovascular health
- Under normal circumstances, inflammation is regarded as a beneficial process, governing our innate response to biological or physical stimuli such as trauma, infection and other pathogens that may cause the organism harm and disrupt homeostasis. Failure to remove the invading element and restore normal immune function can cause chronic inflammation resulting in long-term cell dysfunction. 2 Betalains and beetroot extracts have emerged as potent anti-inflammatory agents.
- The bioactive constituents in beetroot, especially nitrate, appear to be well absorbed and bioavailable in humans. This can help in improving the cognitive function. Beetroot has the potential to improve cerebrovascular blood flow and challenge detriments in cognitive function.
- Intake of Beetroot juice has shown improved levels of protein hemoglobin in adolescent girls. 3
Ayurvedic facts about Beetroot
- Raw beets aggravate Kapha and pacifies Vata. When cooked beets pacify Pitta.
- Cleanses and cools blood.
- Since it nourishes blood tissue, ideal for anemia
- Beets are also great for helping with constipation and treating hemorrhoids.
- It is hot in potency and sweet and bitter in taste
- Beetroot Salad for Vata
Raw beetroot sliced – 2 (Pitta persons can use cooked beets)
Raisins – 2 tbsp.
Sliced figs – 2 tbsp.
Mint leaves – few chopped
Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Method of preparation –
In a Vessel, mix all the ingredients together and serve immediately.
- Beetroot stir fry
1 Beet root, grated
Coconut oil – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Curry leaves – few
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Salt to taste
Cumin seed – ½ tsp.
Garlic – 1 pod
Green chili – 2
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp.
Method of preparation –
In a blender, blend coarse coconut, turmeric, cumin seeds, green chili and salt. Add coconut oil in a pan, and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves when hot. Add the grated beetroot and sauté well. Add ½ cup and cook beetroot till tender. Now add the coconut blend and mix well. Serve warm with rice or flat bread.
- Are beets good for diabetes? MedicalNewsToday
- Ricciotti E., FitzGerald G.A. Prostaglandins and inflammation. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011;31:986–1000. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.207449. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [CrossRef]
- Beetroot juice on improved hemoglobin in adolescent girls
Article by Arya Krishna