|Vata Dosha||Pitta Dosha||Kapha Dosha|
|Seasons associated||Fall and Winter||Summer||Spring|
|Taste Preferred||Sweet and Sour|
|Dosha specific Essential Oils||Basil, Orange, Clove, Rose, Vanilla, Geranium, Patchouli, Amber, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Sandalwood, Thyme, Lemongrass, Frankincense, Coriander, Cardamom and Camphor||Sandalwood, jasmine, lavender, lotus and mint||Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang and Basil|
Aromatherapy for Vata dosha
As mentioned in the above table Vata aggravation happens mainly in Fall and winter seasons. If we check the dosha specific treatments mentioned in ‘Ashtanga Hridaya’, sweet sour and salty tastes are ideal for Vata. Also, the property ‘hotness’ or heat also pacifies aggravated Vata. Similarly, when you chose an essential oil for Vata, chose sweet, sour and warm oils.
Here’s how you can use Vata Aromatic oil for flawless, beautiful skin
- Apply aromatic oils to your skin (Check out the Ayurveda facts on Abhyanga)
- Inhale diffused essential oils
- Burn natural candles and incense
- Grow aromatic plants and trees in your home
- Keep fresh fragrant flowers in home and work places
- Add 10 drops of your favorite essential oil in bathing water
- Apply on your feet with carrier oil at bedtime to ensure sound sleep
The ideal carrier oil for Vata dosha is castor oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil or sesame oil.
Aromatherapy for Pitta dosha
The most important quality for balancing Pitta is coolness. When choosing an ideal oil for pacifying Pitta dosha choose sweet taste with cold potency. Enjoy fragrances which are cool and heartening.
Here’s how a Pitta person can enjoy essential oils for a soothing skin.
- Place a few drops of essential oil on a towel in a hot shower and spend a few minutes bathing your body in the aromatic steam.
- Place a drop of essential oil on the back of your hand or wrist and inhale the scent periodically.
- Perform an Abhyanga with an oil base or carrier oil and add a few drops of essential oil to it.
- Infuse the room with a Pitta soothing scent. You can use an electric diffuser for this.
- Have real fragrant flowers around you, in your work place and home.
The ideal carrier oil for pacifying Pitta is Sunflower oil.
Aromatherapy for Kapha dosha
Using ideal aromatic oils can help a Kapha person to have a perfect balance, lightness and improved immunity to allergic symptoms. Acrid, bitter and astringent tastes warm essential oil are ideal for Kapha.
Here’s how you can use Kapha aromatic oils –
- Drop two drops of essential oil into your bathing water.
- A small amount of essential oil has a big impact when diffused in the air we breathe.
- Carry your favorite essential oils with you so you can stop and inhale the aroma whenever you need to feel calm and uplifted.
- Add a drop or two of your favorite skin-safe essential oil to your palms. Cup the palms around the face and inhale deeply. This technique is called palm inhalation
- Dilute the required essential oil into a nourishing carrier oil. Use daily for hygienic massage.
- Use essential oil in water for facial steam.
- Compresses are a great way to apply essential oils to bruises, wounds, aches and pains, as well as skin problems.
The ideal carrier oil for Kapha is sesame oil or grape seed oil.
Before using Aromatherapy for skin care, remember, do not apply essential oil directly to skin. Always dilute with carrier oil since essential oils are very concentrated.
Check out our range of Kyvta oils which is all natural and organic and ideal for your skin care.